Microsoft integrated the ecosystem of PC and Tablets with windows 8 so that we, users, could enjoy powerful computing right on our tablets or convertible hybrids. We prefer tablets for its convenience, ease of use even while laying in bed. So, while we are in bed, we might want to lock the screen rotation so that if we adjust ourselves to the best of comforts in bed while doing something on windows 8 tablet, we should not face irritating auto screen rotation issue. Whatever be the reason, we might want to disable auto screen rotation from portrait to landscape view or vice versa. Here is how we can do it in windows 8.
- if you’ve keyboard attached as dock to your tablet, you may press win key + o (alphabet o) . This will enable or disable auto screen-rotation. This is the easiest way.
- Use brightness control in charms bar which can be pulled in from the right (or press win key + i to bring forward charms bar and then choose settings and then brightness). You’ll see a button on the top of brightness slider which can be used to lock the screen in portrait or landscape mode, whichever is active. On some tablets, this option may not be available. If so, try other methods listed here in this article.
- You can also disable auto screen rotation by going to windows screen resolution settings. Right click on desktop, choose screen resolution, untick the option that reads allow the screen to auto rotate.
- Some tablets might have a dedicated physical button to lock screen to the current view (either portrait or landscape). Check your tablet manual to find out.
- If none of the above options are available, you can use registry method. Open registry editor by typing regedit on start screen. Navigate to : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AutoRotation and in the right panel, right click on Enable and select Modify. Its value should be set to 1, change it to 0. To enable auto-screen rotation, change this value back to 1. Well, this may be tedious, but definitive solution. Toggling auto-screen rotation is inconvenient if you follow this method.
Now enjoy the comfort and convenience. Feel free to check other useful guides on windows 8 published on our website with detailed screenshots, images, videos in step-by-step manner. We’d love to hear from you.
Windows 8.1 or 8 and Windows RT are mainly meant for touch devices like tablets and mobiles. So screen rotation is available there. But auto rotation of screen is not always desirable and the continuous change of the UI aspect ratio related to the landscape and portrait mode is not soothing to the eyes so locking is needed. You can lock screen rotation, which prevents Windows from automatically rotating the screen from landscape and portrait mode as you turn the tab. When unlocked, the screen automatically rotates with the aid of gravity sensor.
This tutorial will show you how to lock and unlock screen auto-rotation for your Windows 8, Windows RT, Windows 8.1, and Windows RT 8.1 tablet
Steps to Lock or Unlock Screen AutoRotation in Windows 8.1
1. Right click in an empty space on the desktop and select Screen Resolution.
2. Check the option Allow the screen to auto-rotate. Save the changes.
3. Alternative option is to press Windows+O to toggle and rotate screen. Another way out is by opening the Charms Bar and clicking Settings.
4. Click on Screen.
5. Click on the screen icon and just above the brightness slider the screen rotate icon will be present. Click on it.
Happiness is that best therapy. Use it to heal yourself and then others!