Last updated: 24 April 2020 at 7.10 pm
To secure yourself and others from coronavirus (COVID-19), think about how the infection is expanded.
Coronavirus is expanded in sneeze or cough beads. To infect you, it requires to get from a polluted person’s nose or mouth into your eyes, nose or mouth. This can be direct or indirect (on hands, things, area).
Keep this in mind. It will help you remember all the essential things you need to do to secure yourself and others from the infection.
Stay at home
Everyone needs to stay at home to help sluggish the spread of coronavirus.
You require to simply leave your home to:
- search for essential food and household products
- go to medical gos to, collect medication or other health products
- care for kids, older people or other vulnerable people – this leaves out social family check outs
- exercise outdoors – within 2 kilometres of your home and simply with people from your own household – keeping 2 metres in between you and other people
- travel to work if you provide a crucial service – make sure to practice social distancing
There is various ideas about:
- restricting your movements if you handle someone who has indications, a confirmed case or has in fact returned to Ireland from another country
- self-isolating if you have indications of coronavirus
- taking extra care if you’re in an at-risk group
- cocooning for people who are over 70, are really scientifically vulnerable or live in a domestic home or lasting care
Get medical help if you need it
Protecting yourself from coronavirus is required. Do not ignore or delay searching for medical treatment for other uncommon indicators or indications that you may be experiencing. All health services have preventative procedures in area to secure versus the spread of coronavirus.
Phone your GP to discuss your indications. They may use you ideas over the phone or arrange to see you deal with to deal with.
If you are feeling actually unhealthy, call 112 or 999 and notify them about your indications. In particular, if you or someone else is exposing indicators of a stroke or heart disease do not think twice to go to your local emergency scenario department.
Indicators of a heart disease
- Your chest feels tight or heavy.
- You have pain that contaminates your arms, back, neck and jaw.
- You feel or are being ill.
Indicators of stroke – FAST
The RAPIDLY acronym was established to help you remember the main sign of stroke and to act right now by dialling 112 or999
F ace – Has their face fallen on one side. Can they smile?
A rms – Can they raise both their arms and keep them there?
S peech– is their speech slurred?
T ime – To call 112 or 999 if you see any single amongst these indicators.
Social distancing is required to help sluggish the spread of coronavirus. It does this by decreasing contact in between perhaps healthy individuals and polluted individuals.
- keep a location of 2 metres (6.5 feet) in between you and other people
- avoid typical sleeping places
- avoid any busy places
- not shake hands or make close contact with other people, if possible
There is actually little danger if you are merely passing someone. Try to keep a series of 2 metres as much as possible.
Social distancing at work
Follow social distancing ideas all over outside your home. If you are a crucial worker still going to work, this includes your workplace.
Email the NSAI (National Standards Authority of Ireland) at COVID-19- [email protected] if you are an:
- business and desire ideas on coronavirus avoidance treatments in the workplace
Exceptional health and hand cleansing
Follow this ideas as strictly as possible and encourage others to follow this ideas too.
Wash your hands successfully and generally.
Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve when you cough and sneeze.
Put previously owned tissues into a bin and tidy your hands.
Neat and sterilize frequently touched area and things.
Do not touch your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not neat.
Do not share things that touch your mouth– for example, bottles, cups.
Wash your hands successfully and generally
You require to clean your hands:
- after coughing or sneezing
- prior to and after taking in
- prior to and after preparing food
- if you touched with someone who has a fever or breathing indications (cough, shortness of breath, difficulty breathing)
- prior to and after being on public transport, if you ought to use it
- prior to and after staying in a crowd (particularly an indoor crowd)
- when you get here and leave structures including your home or any person else’s home
- if you have in fact handled animals or animal waste
- prior to having a cigarette or vaping
- if your hands are unclean
- after toilet use
Keep your hands in exceptional condition. Moisturise them generally. Any basic product that is not aromatic or coloured is OK.
Inspire your kid to clean their hands regularly and successfully. They require to similarly follow ideas on staying at home and social distancing.
Non multiple-use gloves
Do not utilize non multiple-use gloves rather of cleaning your hands. The infection gets on them in the precise very same approach it gets on your hands. When you take them off, your hands can get contaminated.
Non multiple-use gloves are utilized in medical settings. They are not as reputable in life.
Utilizing non multiple-use gloves can use you an inaccurate complacency.
- cough or sneeze into the gloves – this establishes a new area for the infection to live on
- contaminate yourself.
- not clean your hands as generally as you need to and touch your challenge with contaminated gloves
When removing the gloves or touching area
Utilizing a mask is not most likely to be of any benefit if you are not ill.
If you do need to utilize a mask, here is how to use one successfully.
How to put on and utilize a face mask successfully
Neat your hands successfully prior to you put it on.
Cover your mouth and nose with the mask and make sure there are no areas in between your face and the mask.
Link the mask securely.
Modification the mask as rapidly as it sweats.
Do not touch the mask while utilizing it – if you do, neat your hands successfully.
Do not use a damp or wet mask.
Do not recycle a mask.
Taking a mask off
To take a mask off successfully:
- remove it from behind – do not touch the front of the mask
- put it in a bin right away
- neat your hands successfully
Infectious disease break outs like coronavirus (COVID-19) can be worrying. This can affect your mental health.
Suggestions for public
When and how to use masks
Getting workplace ready
These items are regularly updated based upon new scientific findings as the epidemic advances. Last updated 29 April 2020
Stay acquainted with the most current information on the COVID-19 break out, used on the WHO website and through your across the country and local public health authority. Numerous countries worldwide have in fact seen cases of COVID-19 and great deals of are experiencing break outs. Authorities in China and some other countries have in fact succeeded in slowing their break outs. The situation is unforeseeable so check regularly for the most present news.
You can lessen your possibilities of being polluted or expanding COVID-19 by taking some standard preventative procedures:
- Regularly and entirely neat your hands with an alcohol-based hand rub or tidy them with soap and water. Why? Cleaning your hands with soap and water or making use of alcohol-based hand rub removes infections that may be on your hands.
- Preserve a minimum of 1 metre (3 feet) variety in between yourself and others. Why? When someone coughs, sneezes, or speaks they spray little liquid beads from their nose or mouth which may consist of infection. If you are too close, you can take in the beads, including the COVID-19 infection if the person has the disease.
- Avoid going to crowded places. Why? Where people come together in crowds, you are probably to come into close contact with someone that has in fact COIVD-19 and it is more difficult to maintain physical series of 1 metre (3 feet).
- Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth. Why? Hands touch great deals of area and can get infections. When contaminated, hands can move the infection to your eyes, nose or mouth. From there, the infection can enter your body and infect you.
- Make sure you, and people around you, follow exceptional breathing health. This recommends covering your mouth and nose with your bent elbow or tissue when you cough or sneeze. Dispose of the made use of tissue right now and clean your hands. Why? Beads expanded infection. By following exceptional breathing health, you secure people around you from infections such as cold, influenza and COVID-19
- Remain at house and self-isolate even with little indications such as cough, headache, moderate fever, up till you recover. Have someone bring you products. If you need to leave your house, utilize a mask to avoid polluting others. Why? Avoiding contact with others will secure them from possible COVID-19 and other infections.
- If you have a cough, difficulty and fever breathing, search for medical attention, nevertheless call by telephone ahead of time if possible and follow the guidelines of your local health authority. Why? National and local authorities will have the most around date information on the situation in your area. Employing advance will allow your health care service company to quickly direct you to the finest health. This will similarly secure you and help prevent spread of infections and other infections.
- Maintain to date on the most current information from depended on sources, such as WHO or your local and across the country health authorities. Why? Nationwide and local authorities are best placed to motivate on what people in your area requirement to be doing to secure themselves.
Suggestions on the safe use of alcohol-based hand sanitizers
To secure yourself and others versus COVID-19, neat your hands frequently and entirely. Use alcohol-based hand sanitizer or tidy your hands with soap and water. If you use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer, make sure you use and conserve it completely.
- Keep alcohol-based hand sanitizers out of kids’s reach. Teach them how to utilize the sanitizer and monitor its use.
- Utilize a coin-sized amount on your hands. There is no requirement to use a huge amount of the product.
- Avoid touching your eyes, mouth and nose right now after making use of an alcohol-based hand sanitizer, as it can set off swelling.
- Hand sanitizers encouraged to secure versus COVID-19 are alcohol-based and because of that can be flammable. Do not use prior to handling fire or cooking.
- Under no scenario, drink or let kids swallow an alcohol-based hand sanitizer. It can be harmful.
- Remember that cleaning your hands with soap and water is similarly reputable versus COVID-19
- Exceptional health
Exceptional health includes cleaning your hands, covering your coughs and cleaning your home or workplace.
- Social distancing
Find out how to practice social distancing in public, in your house, at work, and in schools.
- Public occasions
Comprehend the constraints that utilize to essential occasions and non-essential occasions.
If you have in fact COVID-19, you ought to stay at home. You might similarly require to stay in quarantine in your house for 14 days even if you do not have in fact COVID-19– if you have in fact moved from one state or location to another or have in fact touched with a private with COVID-19 Learn who must self-isolate and how to self-isolate.
There are really essential actions you require to need to assist in decreasing the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19) and secure yourself and those who are most at danger.
How to slow the spread
To help sluggish the spread of COVID-19, practise exceptional health and social distancing and follow the standards for public occasions, quarantine and self-isolation.
If you have in fact COVID-19, utilizing a surgical mask can help to prevent spreading it to others.
If you are well, you do not need to utilize a surgical mask. There is little evidence that substantial use of surgical masks in healthy people prevents transmission in public.
Discover More in our fact sheet about utilizing surgical masks.
There is no vaccine for COVID-19, nevertheless there is one for the influenza.
You require to get an influenza shot. Getting the influenza and COVID-19 at the precise very same time can make you actually ill.
Scientists from around the world are handling developing a vaccine for COVID-19 The World Health Business believes this may be used within 18 months.
Care for your health
If you are unhealthy and think it might be COVID-19, see how to search for medical attention.
If you are unhealthy with a numerous medical concern, contact a physician for ideas and treatment.
If you have a relentless medical condition, keep your common medical or pathology test gos to. Contact your doctor or expert to talk about any problems you have.