On Windows 10, you can print a document to PDF from any application, thanks to the built-in Print to PDF feature. You no longer have to use the old XPS Printer or install a third-party application.
To get started, open the document you want to print to a PDF file. Find and open the Print dialog box in the application. Where this is located will vary by program, but you can usually go to File > Print, or just click a printer icon.
When the “Print” window opens, click “Microsoft Print to PDF” in the “Select Printer” section. Then, click “Print” at the bottom of the window.
When the “Save Print Output As” window appears, type a filename, and then select the location in which you want to save the file (such as Documents or Desktop). When you’re done, click “Save.”
The printed document will be saved as a PDF file in the location you chose. If you double-click the file you just created, you should see it the way it would appear if you printed a hard copy.
From there, you can copy your file, back it up, or save it for later reference.
Windows 10 has native support for PDF files — finally.
Good news: It looks like Microsoft has finally given up on trying to make the XPS file format happen. Windows 10 features native support for PDF files, including the ability to ‘print’ documents straight to PDF.
And yes, Mac OS X has had this feature for a while.
To Print to PDF in Windows 10, simply open up your document in a text editor like Microsoft Word and click File > Print. (You can do this from any program that lets you print — not just Word, and not just with a text document.)
Sarah Jacobsson Purewal/CNET
Under Printer or Destination, choose Print as a PDF.
Click Print and a window will open up, prompting you to title your newly created PDF file. Name it and click Save to save your document as a PDF.
In previous versions of Windows, creating a PDF is not quite as straightforward — though many programs have “Save as PDF” or “Print to PDF” built-in (for example, Google Chrome). Windows 10’s new Print to PDF feature is significant because it’s independent of a specific program, which means it will work in any program that you can print from.
Print to PDF is different from Save as PDF because it only translates the information that you’d see on a printed page. This means that any metadata — such as links and bookmarks — will not be translated, and will not be visible to whomever is viewing the “printed” PDF file.
2021-03-30 11:46:10 вЂў Filed to: Knowledge of PDF вЂў Proven solutions
For different reasons, we all have to deal with PDF files for many different reasons. If you are a college student and letвЂ™s say you have asked Sam, your best friend, to take some pictures of his textbook so that you can have something to read for the exams. The problem is you cannot annotate an image that easily. Here is when Windows 10 comes to your aid like a sweet angel! As you may have already come across it, Windows 10 presents this new cool and practical feature called Print to PDF function. You are wondering what it is and how it works? Just follow the guide below to learn how to enable and use Print to PDF on Windows 10.
How to Use the Print to PDF Function on Windows 10
Technically, this feature proposes two solutions to your problem:
Option 1. Right Click Your File
It allows you to save any file on your computer, including a web page, image etc. into a simple PDF file. Let’s see how it works: Right-click on an image for example and choose “Print”. On the opened dialogue page, choose “Microsoft to PDF” under Printer. Then click on “Print” and choose the location into which you want to save the file. Obviously, you can choose to fit the image into the frames or adjust its size as well. Feel free to play with different options.
Option 2. Use the Printer in Other Applications
This function is also a common feature between all the applications that allow printing. Just click “Print” inside of any application that has the printing feature and under Printer, choose “Microsoft Print to PDF”. Now if everything goes fine, you can choose the location you want the PDF saved to. That’s all about it! Now you have created a PDF file using the new Windows 10 built-in Printing feature.
How to Enable the Print to PDF Feature on Windows 10
If you can’t find this option under Printer, don’t worry, below are the two approaches you can take:
Method 1. Check the Windows Feature Tab
- Open the “Start” menu and in the search tab and type: Turn Windows features on or off.
- Make sure to check the feature of “Microsoft Print to PDF”.
- Hit the “OK” button and drop out. Remember to restart at the end.
Method 2. Check the Advanced Printer Setup
- If the above guidelines do not apply to you, please enter and find “Advanced printer settings” in the search tab of the task-bar, and then tap on the outcome.
- When different options are loaded, choose “Microsoft Print to PDF” and act in accordance with the instructions.
This printing function is different from the conventional Save as a PDF that we are already familiar with from applications like Office Word. The difference is that the PDF file created using this function is not rich at all. In other words, the exported PDF file would be barely suitable for reading because the metadata won’t work (hyperlinks, bookmarks etc.). So the bottom-line is you are going to have to install another PDF reader and editor if you want the PDFs you make to be interactive and have full annotations/functions. In the following lines, you can find a brilliant suggestion. So be ready.
Must-Have PDF Editor for Windows 10
There are tons of free or premium PDF handling applications out there and seriously, it is such a pain to find the one that best suit your needs. WeвЂve done all the work for you and here is our suggestion: PDFelement.
PDFelement is an application that helps you handle your PDF documents just the way you want. It is the ultimate package which allows you to create, edit, convert and share your PDF with the ease of a click. It has features that have amazed users so far: Compatibility, Smoothness, Smart batch processing and so on.
2021-01-20 10:21:36 вЂў Filed to: How-To вЂў Proven solutions
Adding a PDF printer is a very important step, and to ensure that individuals can perform a variety of tasks utilizing PDFs. There are multiple options for adding a PDF Printer for Mac, Windows, and mobile applications. Today, this article will show you a detail tutorial of how to add PDF Printer with PDFelement.
How to Add PDF Printer with PDFelement
To add a PDF Printer on Windows using PDFelement, users should follow these easy steps below.
Step 1: Open the PDF File
First, open the PDF file by clicking the “Open files” button, or just drag the file into the program.
Step 2: Select the Print Window
Once the PDF is open, select “File” and “Print”.
Step 3: Add Printer
Once this screen pops up from the “Print” selection a drop-down menu will appear with the option for “Printer”.
Click on “Printer” button to Add Printer and from that option, simply click and a new pop up screen will appear for you to add a new Printer.
PDFelement makes this easy for Windows, so users simply need to select the automatic installation option when downloading the software from the internet and the Printer will automatically be added to their computers lists of Printers that can be accessed from any documents or control panel that has printing options, including screenshots from desktops.
Adding a PDF Printer in Windows is a seamless process with PDFelement. It provides many standard functions, including printing functions, editing, annotation, high-volume dialogue and booklet creation. It is highly rated software that is utilized by large corporations as well as individuals.
- It can convert PDF to multiple popular other formats.
- It can create PDF from a single file or multiple PDF files.
- It can protect PDF from stolen by adding passwords, redaction areas, watermarks, permission etc.
- It can edit PDF text, fonts, colors, images, links, just like you are editing files in Word.
- It can rotate, insert, crop, merge, combine, delete pages easily.
- It supports Windows, Mac, iOS platforms together.
How to Add Adobe PDF Printer to Windows
Generally, adding a PDF Printer in Windows or Mac can be done in multiple ways. This is a tutorial on how to add a PDF printer to Windows, taking Adobe PDF Printer as an example.
Step 1: Licensing Requirements
First, please ensure all systems and licensing requirements are met. For the version of the PDF Printer, it will tell you which systems it is compatible with.
Step 2: Go to “Control Panel”
Your “Control Panel” gives you access to the major hardware and software on your computer.
Step 3: Select “Add a Printer”
Select “Devices and Printers” and then select “Add a Printer” which will allow you to manually install the Printer of your choice.
NOTE 1: Please note that some versions of PDF readers are not the same as PDF Printers, and the versions that enable printing capability usually have to be purchased, gathered through a free trial, or gathered through open source software with the installation of additional code reading programs.
NOTE 2: If individuals are downloading, for instance, Adobe PDF Printer, then the software will automatically run and install, however, the above instruction is for manual installation in case of an individual encounters problems, for people to know how to install PDF Printers in general, and for people to know how to install physical Printers. Adobe PDF Printer requires that individuals purchase the Printer version in order for users to be able to convert files to PDF as well as to read PDFs on the computer.
Advantages of Adding a PDF Printer
PDF Printers are a necessary part of normal business operations and have multiple uses for individuals as well. Computers installed with these functions are able to create higher quality and protected documents with various functions, including password protection, signing capability, e-Form integration, highlighted text for easy navigation, booklet creation that appears in PDF readers as documents that can be read like a physical book, and large batch printing that enables individuals to convert a large number of documents to PDF at a higher speed than when operating on a computer alone, for example, through Internet sites that do not require downloads to use it.
Thus, the benefits of adding a PDF Printer enables individuals to work faster and have access to amenities of standard PDF software that are not available with using online-based conversion tools that offer no download. While there are general limitations to PDF Printers depending on the brand, version, and price, overall the standards for smooth operations and features are stabilized for lower-priced and professional options. Although computers do not come with PDF printing capabilities, it is a useful and almost intuitive aspect of computer utilization that gives individuals the much-needed edge to produce high-quality documents that can be shared and protected across multiple platforms.
James Walker | February 24, 2021 October 16, 2019 | How-To
To print to PDF in Windows 10:
- Use the Print control in your app.
- Select the “Microsoft Print to PDF” printer.
- Press “Print” and choose a location to save the PDF to when prompted.
Applies to All Windows 10 Versions
PDF is a highly versatile document format which almost all computer users are familiar with. Consequently, it’s a good choice when you need to share information in a standardised format that won’t be impeded by distribution.
Getting information into a PDF has historically been a problem. However, Microsoft simplified matters in Windows 10 by adding a native “print to PDF” function into the operating system. This means any printable content – such as a text file or a webpage – can be converted to PDF in a couple of clicks.
We’ll be “printing” a webpage for the purposes of this guide. You’re free to choose any printable content you have access to.
Begin by clicking the “Print” button in the app you’re using. You’ll often find this under the “File” menu. In many apps, Ctrl+P will work as a keyboard shortcut to open the printing popup.
The prompt you see may look slightly different depending on the app you’re using. Modern apps from the Windows Store will display a larger window with a more contemporary visual appearance. You can see examples of both styles in the screenshots in this guide.
Irrespective of the popup you see, there should be an option to select the printer to use. Choose “Microsoft Print to PDF.” You can now customise the print job as normal – options to print a subset of pages should work as normal.
The Microsoft Print to PDF printer is a virtual printer. It takes the input it receives from the app and converts it to an output PDF. As far as the app is concerned, the document has been “printed,” but it’s really saved to a file.
When you click “Print,” you will see a File Explorer popup appear. This lets you choose where to save the PDF. The PDF will then be created and saved into the selected directory.
Microsoft Print to PDF has a couple of printing options you can customise. These are normally accessed from the “Printer Properties” or “Preferences” buttons in printing popups. You can choose the orientation of printing and change the paper size. This will define the page sizing within the PDF.
Print to PDF is a useful convenience feature which provides an easy way to convert documents into PDF. Microsoft also provides a virtual printer to produce XPS documents. You’ll see it named “Microsoft XPS Document Writer” in the list of installed printers.
Windows has a built-in function that allows you to “print” a document to a PDF file. Few users are aware of this, and even fewer know how to access and use it. In this guide, we intend to show you how to use the Microsoft Print to PDF option on Windows 10.
As you may know already, Foxit—a light PDF reader developer—removed the PDF Printer option from its program
Foxit Reader users were no longer able to use PDF printing, which was actually one of the most used features in the application. For this reason, a function—especially one that already exists in Windows—that allows users to get PDF for printing operations will come in handy.
If you do not have a printer or lack immediate access to one, then you can use the Print to PDF function to save a document in PDF. This is an excellent feature, especially since most printers recognize the PDF formatting better. It’s also useful if you have other reasons for wanting to save your stuff in PDF.
The Microsoft Print to PDF feature is missing in older versions of the Windows operating system. It is a relatively new function. Users previously had to use third-party apps—such as Foxit Reader—that allowed them to save items as PDF files. Microsoft realized the need for such a function, hence adding support for Print to PDF.
Where Can one Get Microsoft Print to PDF?
Microsoft Print to PDF is already built into your computer as long as your device is running Windows 10. If you cannot find or access it, then the function is likely to be disabled on your PC. So, you have to turn on Microsoft Print to PDF first before you can use it. We described the procedure (first thing below) to turn on Microsoft Print to PDF.
How to Enable the Microsoft Print to PDF Option
You can skip this procedure if you are sure that the Print to PDF option is enabled and ready for use on your computer. If you do not know whether the featured is activated, go through these steps:
- Press the Windows button on your device’s keyboard. You can also click on the Windows icon at the bottom-left corner of your screen.
- The Windows Start screen should be visible now.
- Type “Windows features” (no quotes).
- From the results, you have to click on Turn on or off Windows Features (Control Panel).
- Your computer should bring up the Windows Features dialog or window now.
- Now, you must scroll through the items on the list carefully.
- Locate Microsoft Print to PDF. Click on the checkbox for this parameter to get it selected.
- If the box for Microsoft Print to PDF is already checked, then you must leave things as they are.
- Click on the OK button.
Your computer will now save the changes. Windows should take note of the new configuration for Windows Features. You will now be able to use the Print to PDF function.
How to Add and Access the Microsoft Print to PDF Feature in Device and Printers
- First, you have to open the Control Panel app.
- You can go to the Windows Start screen, then type “Control Panel” (no quotes).
- Click on the application on the results list.
- Assuming you are now on the Control Panel window, you have to look to the top-right corner to see the View by parameter.
- Make sure that the View by parameter is set to Category.
- Now, under Hardware and Sound, you have to click on the View devices and printers link.
- You will be directed to the Devices and Printer screen.
- Click on the Add a printer button on the toolbar (close to the top of the screen).
- Your computer is likely to bring up the Add a device dialog or window now.
- Click on ‘The printer I want isn’t listed’ link (close to the bottom of the window).
- Assuming you are now on the Add Printer screen, you have to click on the radio button for Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings.
- Click on the Next button.
- At this stage, assuming you are on the Choose a printer port, you have to click on the radio button for Use an existing port.
- Click on the drop-down menu and then select File: (Print to File).
- Click on Next button.
- Now, on the Install the printer driver screen, you have to click on Microsoft in the left, and then click on Microsoft Print to PDF in the right pane.
- Click on the Next button.
- Here, you have to click on the radio button for Use the driver that is currently installed.
- Click on the Next button.
- Assuming you are now on the You’ve successfully added Microsoft Print to PDF screen, you have to click on the box for Set as the default printer (to get it selected) – if this parameter is deselected.
- Click on the Finish button.
How to Use the Microsoft Print to PDF Feature
To use the Microsoft Print to PDF function in any application, follow these steps:
- Use the Ctrl + letter P keyboard shortcut to open the Print menu in the app.
- Now, you must select Microsoft Print to PDF as your printer.
- The program will ask you to specify the location to which you want to save the file.
- Specify your preferred directory for the file. Click on the OK or Save button.
Your computer will now work to create the PDF and save it in your chosen location.
How to Print a PDF File in Windows 10
To print a PDF file in Windows, you simply have to use the Ctrl+P keyboard shortcut to access the Print menu. Then, you must choose the printer you want to use, specify the necessary parameters and options, and then click on the Print button. Your computer will now send the document you want to print to the printer. The latter will do its job.
Can Foxit Reader Print a PDF?
Yes. If the Foxit Reader on your system still shows the PDF printing function—which went missing on some users’ computer after an update to the Foxit Reader app—then you can use it to print PDFs. You should not rely on Foxit Reader’s PDF printing function, though. It might eventually disappear or become inaccessible at some point in the future.
How to Fix the Foxit PDF Reader Doesn’t Print
Unfortunately, fixes to such a problem are beyond the scope of our work in this guide. If something in the Foxit Reader refuses or fails to work, then you can simply get another PDF reader and then use the function you need in the new application.
Listed below are PDF readers that can replicate Foxit PDF reader capabilities.
What are Foxit PDF reader alternatives in 2020?
If you only used Foxit Reader because it allowed you to save your documents in PDF, then you may no longer have use for the application. After all, you now know about the Microsoft Print to PDF function.
If something in Foxit Reader stops working for you, then you can get another PDF reader and use a similar function in the new application. You can get Adobe Acrobat PDF reader, which is still easily the most popular and powerful option. Meanwhile, if you don’t like Acrobat or if you simply do not want to use an Adobe product, then you can get any one of these free PDF readers:
- Slim PDF
- Nitro Reader
- Expert PDF Reader
- Javelin PDF Reader
- PDF-XChange Editor
Of course, you still have the option to use your web browser – Chrome or Firefox, for example – to view PDFs.
We also recommend you using Auslogics BoostSpeeds’ Browser Protection function, it’s quite an easy way to keep your browser protected.
Windows has offered a built-in way to print a document to a PDF file, this feature in Windows 10 allows you to print any document to a pdf file. For some reason, if Microsoft Print to PDF option is missing from the list of printers, you can enable Microsoft Print to PDFВ printer for all users inВ Windows 10 by using the following ways.
How to enable Microsoft Print to PDF on Windows Features
Step 1: Press Win + X keys, click Control Panel in Quick Access menu, then click Program.
Step 2: Click Turn Windows features on or off.
Step 3: Check on Microsoft Print to PDFВ for what you want to do, and click onВ OK.
When Windows is finished applying changes, you can restart your computer.
How to Add Microsoft Print to PDF on Devices and Printers
Step 1: Open Control Panel, click Hardware and Device and then click Devices and Printers.
Step 2: Click onВ Add a printerВ in the toolbar of Devices and Printers.
Step 3: Click on theВ The printer that I want isn’t listedВ link, and go toВ Step 4В below.
How to Activate Microsoft Print to PDF Option on Settings
Step 1: Open the Settings app, click Device icon.
Step 2: On the left ofВ Printers & scannersВ tab, click onВ Add a printer or scanner underВ Printers & scanners.
Step 3: Click on The printer I want isn’t listed link.
Step 4: SelectВ Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings and click onВ Next.
Step 5: Select Use an existing port, selectВ FILE: (Print to File)В from its drop-down menu, and click onВ Next.
Step 6: SelectВ MicrosoftВ in the left pane, selectВ Microsoft Print to PDFВ in the right pane and clickВ Next.
Step 7: Select Use the driver that is currently installed and click onВ Next.
Step 8: Then click Next, and then click on Finish.
By: Waseem Patwegar
If you are using Adobe Acrobat and unable to Print PDF File in Windows 10, you will find below the steps to fix PDF File Printing problems on your computer.
Unable to Print PDF File in Windows 10
With Windows 10 and most modern web browsers featuring in-built support for PDF Format, there is really no need to install Adobe Acrobat or other third party PDF Software program on your computer.
However, some users prefer using Adobe Acrobat and other PDF Software programs on their computer and this can sometimes lead to PDF File printing problems in Windows 10.
In a typical case of this nature, there is no error message and the printer does not respond at all, even if users to try to print the PDF File multiple times.
The reason for being Unable to Print PDF File in Windows 10 could be due to incorrect Printer settings, the PDF File being corrupted, or due to Adobe Acrobat Software program being corrupted.
1. Restart Computer
Powering OFF and restarting the computer can clear minor software glitches, stuck programs and processes, which might be causing the printing problems on your computer.
1. Completely Power OFF your computer
2. Wait for 5 minutes and restar t the computer.
3. After the computer restarts, see if you are able to print the PDF file.
2. Select the Right Printer
It is possible that your computer is trying to print to a non-existing printer. Hence, make sure that the right printer is selected on the printer screen.
1. Open the PDF File that you are trying to print
2. Click on File > Print option in the drop-down menu.
3. On the next screen, select the right printer that is actually connected to your computer
4. Once the right printer is selected, click on the Print button, located at the bottom right corner of the print screen.
3. Print as Image
If the file that you are trying to print is a simple PDF Document and you are in a hurry, try to print the file as image.
1. Open the PDF File that you wanted to print
2. Click on File > Print option in the drop-down menu.
3. On the Print screen, click on the Advanced button.
4. On the next screen, select Print As Image option and click on OK .
5. Back on the Print screen, click on the Print button.
4. Save As Another PDF File
Sometimes the PDF file can get corrupted while you are trying to print the file. Hence, follow the steps below to recreate the PDF file.
1. Open the PDF File that you were trying to print.
2. Click on File > Save As .
3. On the Save As screen, click on the suggested File Location or choose a different location.
4. On the next screen, type a different name for your file and click on the Save button.
Now, you should be able to print using the New PDF File that you just created.
5. Recreate PDF File
If you had created the PDF file using Print to PDF option in Microsoft Word or Excel, you can simply discard the problematic PDF file and create a New PDF File.
The steps to create a PDF file are more or less the same in Word, Excel and other Apps that support PDF format.
1. Open the Original File (Word, Excel, etc.) that was used to create the PDF file.
2. Once the file is open, click on File > Save As option in the drop-down. On the next screen, make sure that “Save as type” is “PDF Document” and click on the Save button.
Once the PDF file is recreated, try to print from the recreated PDF File.
6. Repair Adobe Acrobat Software
It is possible that the Adobe Software as installed on your computer has become corrupted.
1. Open Settings > Click on Apps .
2. On the next screen, click on Apps & Features in the left pane. In the right-pane, click on Adobe Acrobat and click on the Modify button.
3. On the pop-up, choose the Repair option and click on the Next button.
4. Wait for your computer to repair and reinstall Adobe Acrobat Software on your computer.
5. Once the program is repaired/reinstalled, click on the Finish button to close the screen.
After reinstalling Adobe Acrobat, try to print the File again.
Sometimes, you may need to print out a webpage or a document. But what if there isn’t a printer nearby?
One popular way to take the document away for reading it later, is to convert it into a PDF file.
But it is no easy task, as all Windows versions up to Windows 8.1, have not had a native PDF printer, which forced users to look for other options, i.e., third party apps and tools to use this basic feature.
That, however changed with the release of Windows 10. And if you are a user of the Redmond Company’s latest operating system, you will be happy to know that you won’t require to use a third party application for printing a page/doc as a PDF file.
Microsoft has included a built-in Print to PDF function in Windows 10, to allow users to print literally any page pr document in to a PDF file. W hat’s more, Windows 10 comes with the option enabled by default. The option is simply called “Microsoft Print to PDF”.
To verify if the option is enabled, click on Start and open the Settings App (or just press Windows + I).
- Select Devices, which is the second option in the top row of Settings.
- The left pane of the app’s screen should have a list of options, with the very first one being “Printers & scanners”.
- Take a look at the right pane of the app, there should be an option to “Add Printers & scanners”, below which is the Printers section.
- This section will have Microsoft Print to PDF available as one of the options.
(This is highlighted in the image featured above).
How to print as PDF in Windows 10:
1. Open any webpage or a document.
2. Once it has loaded fully, click on the application’s menu and select File > Print. You can also use the universal print key combo (Control + P), to initiate the process.
3. Now, the Print dialog should pop-up.
4. Click on the Printer’s name, and select the “How to print as PDF in Windows 10” option.
5. Select the pages you want to print and click on Print or Ok, which is available in the app.
6. You will be prompted to save the doc/page. Assign it a name to save the PDF.
Wait for the process to complete, and your PDF is ready.
You can try this using any app which supports the Print option, and it will work just fine. While printing a document, just be sure to choose a PDF friendly layout, else the output may not be readable.