Quotation, DOI and article knowledge
The lateral collateral ligament advanced or radial collateral ligament advanced is a significant lateral stabilizer of the elbow joint and resists varus stress.
On this web page:
The LCL is a Y-shaped ligamentous advanced composed of three components 1,2 :
- annular ligament
- from sigmoid notch to supinator crest of the ulna bone
- kinds a sling round the radial head
- radial collateral ligament
- anterior lateral epicondyle to annular ligament and supinator muscle fascia
- lateral ulnar collateral ligament
- lateral epicondyle to supinator crest of the ulna
- accent lateral collateral ligament 1
- could also be current in as much as 33% of sufferers
- runs from annular ligament to supinator crest
- acts to bolster the annular ligament
- absence of lateral ulnar collateral ligament 1
- posterolateral rotatory instability (PLRI): can happen from harm to lateral collateral ligament advanced of the elbow
- lateral collateral ligament advanced tears: mostly proximally at the insertion to the lateral epicondyle 2
- lateral epicondylitis
- 1. Stein JM, Cook dinner TS, Simonson S et-al. Regular and variant anatomy of the elbow on magnetic resonance imaging. Magn Reson Imaging Clin N Am. 2011;19 (3): 609-19. doi:10.1016/j.mric.2011.05.002 – Pubmed quotation
- 2. Teixeira PA, Omoumi P, Trudell DJ et-al. Ultrasound evaluation of the lateral collateral ligamentous advanced of the elbow: imaging facets in cadavers and regular volunteers. Eur Radiol. 2011;21 (7): 1492-8. doi:10.1007/s00330-011-2076-8 – Free textual content at pubmed – Pubmed quotation
- 3. Brukner P, Khan Okay. Scientific Sports activities Medication Third Revised Version. Springer. (2010) ISBN:1441959726. Learn it at Google Books – Discover it at Amazon
- 4. Conti Mica M, Caekebeke P, van Riet R. Lateral Collateral Ligament Accidents of the Elbow – Persistent Posterolateral Rotatory Instability (PLRI). EFORT Open Rev. 2016;1(12):461-8. doi:10.1302/2058-5241.160033
Associated articles: Anatomy: Higher limb
Promoted articles (promoting)
ADVERTISEMENT: Supporters see fewer/no adverts
Instances and figures
Loading extra pictures.
Please Notice: You may also scroll by means of stacks along with your mouse wheel or the keyboard arrow keys
Loading Stack –
Zero pictures remaining
- Synthetic Intelligence
- Imaging Know-how
- Interventional Radiology
- Central Nervous System
- Head & Neck
Affected person Instances
- Central Nervous System
- Head & Neck
- Not Relevant
- Characteristic Sponsor
- Professional advisers
- Don’t share my Private Info.
Updating… Please wait.
Unable to course of the type. Examine for errors and check out once more.
Thanks for updating your particulars.
- Electronic mail
Elbow collateral ligament insufficiency is often seen in sports activities individuals concerned in overarm-throwing sports activities reminiscent of cricket, baseball, and tennis. [1, 2] Trauma and postdislocation accidents are different frequent causes of collateral ligament harm, which may happen on both facet of the joint.
An understanding of the regular anatomy is required for prognosis and profitable surgical reconstruction. [3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10] The elbow is one in all the most congruous joints in the physique. It consists of three articulations between the humerus, ulna, and radius inside a capsule. The medial collateral ligament (MCL) resists valgus pressure and helps the ulnohumeral joint. The lateral collateral ligament (LCL) prevents rotational instability between the distal humerus and the proximal radius and ulna.
The prognosis and therapy of elbow instability have been the focus of a lot basic-science and scientific analysis. Strategies for precisely diagnosing elbow instability proceed to evolve. Affected person historical past, bodily examination, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), in addition to arthroscopic methods for prognosis and therapy, proceed to play a significant function in differentiating between nonoperative and operative candidates. [7, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17]
Jobe et al first described double-strand reconstruction of the ulnar collateral ligament (UCL) with use of a free tendon graft that was secured to the medial epicondyle and the proximal facet of the ulna in a figure-eight style.  A number of issues are related to this process, reminiscent of detachment of the flexor-pronator muscle group, intensive drilling of the medial epicondyle, and transposition of the ulnar nerve. Research have centered on methods of UCL reconstruction that decrease the potential for issues, notably these associated to the medial epicondyle and the ulnar nerve. [5, 6, 8, 9, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23]
A ligament is a band of tissue that connects a bone to a different bone. The collateral ligaments of the knee are situated on the outdoors a part of your knee joint. They assist join the bones of your higher and decrease leg, round your knee joint.
- The lateral collateral ligament (LCL) runs on the outer facet of your knee.
- The medial collateral ligament (MCL) runs alongside the within your knee.
A collateral ligament harm happens when the ligaments are stretched or torn. A partial tear happens when solely a part of the ligament is torn. A whole tear happens when the complete ligament is torn into two items.
Extra About Your Damage
The collateral ligaments assist maintain your knee steady. They assist maintain your leg bones in place and maintain your knee from transferring too far sideways.
A collateral ligament harm can happen if you happen to get hit very onerous on the inside or outdoors of your knee, or when you could have a twisting harm.
Skiers and individuals who play basketball, soccer, or soccer usually tend to have such a harm.
What to Anticipate
With a collateral ligament harm, you might discover:
- A loud pop when the harm happens
- Your knee is unstable and may shift facet to facet as if it “provides method”
- Locking or catching of the knee with motion
- Knee swelling
- Knee ache alongside the inside or outdoors of your knee
After analyzing your knee, the physician might order these imaging checks:
- X-rays to test for harm to the bones in your knee.
- An MRI of the knee. An MRI machine takes particular photos of the tissues inside your knee. The images will present whether or not these tissues have been stretched or torn.
You probably have a collateral ligament harm, you might want:
- Crutches to stroll till the swelling and ache get higher
- A brace to assist and stabilize your knee
- Bodily remedy to assist enhance joint movement and leg energy
- Surgical procedure to restore the collateral ligament or different related accidents
Most individuals don’t want surgical procedure for an MCL harm. Nonetheless, you might want surgical procedure in case your LCL is injured or in case your accidents are extreme and contain different ligaments in your knee.
Self-care at Residence
Comply with R.I.C.E. to assist cut back ache and swelling:
- Relaxation your leg. Keep away from placing weight on it.
- Ice your knee for 20 minutes at a time, Three to Four occasions a day.
- Compress the space by wrapping it with an elastic bandage or compression wrap.
- Elevate your leg by elevating it above the degree of your coronary heart.
You should utilize ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), or naproxen (Aleve, Naprosyn) to cut back ache and swelling. Acetaminophen (Tylenol) helps with ache, however not swelling. You should buy these ache medicines at the retailer.
- Speak along with your physician earlier than utilizing these medicines in case you have coronary heart illness, hypertension, kidney illness, or have had abdomen ulcers or inner bleeding in the previous.
- Don’t take greater than the quantity advisable on the bottle or by your physician.
You shouldn’t put your entire weight in your leg if it hurts. It is best to test along with your physician about how a lot weight it is best to put in your leg. Relaxation and self-care could also be sufficient to permit the tear to heal. It is best to use crutches to guard the injured ligament.
Chances are you’ll must work with a bodily therapist (PT) to regain knee and leg energy. The PT will train you workout routines to strengthen the muscle tissues, ligaments, and tendons round your knee.
As your knee heals, you may return to regular actions and perhaps play sports activities once more.
When to Name the Physician
Name your physician if:
- You could have elevated swelling or ache
- Self-care doesn’t appear to assist
- You lose feeling in your foot
- Your foot or leg feels chilly or modifications colour
You probably have surgical procedure, name the physician in case you have:
- A fever of 100В°F (38В°C) or increased
- Drainage from the incisions
- Bleeding that will not cease
Medial collateral ligament harm – aftercare; MCL harm – aftercare; Lateral collateral ligament harm – aftercare; LCL harm – aftercare; Knee harm – collateral ligament
- Medial collateral ligament
- Knee ache
- Medial collateral ligament ache
- Medial collateral ligament harm
- Torn medial collateral ligament
Lamplot JD, Bogunovic L, Wright RW. Revision anterior cruciate ligament accidents. In: Miller MD, Thompson SR, eds. DeLee, Drez, & Miller’s Orthopaedic Sports activities Medication. fifth ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier; 2020:chap 99.
Lento P, Marshall B, Akuthota V. Collateral ligament sprain. In: Frontera WR, Silver JK, Rizzo TD, Jr, eds. Necessities of Bodily Medication and Rehabilitation. 4th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier; 2019:chap 66.
Miller RH, Azar FM. Knee accidents. In: Azar FM, Beaty JH eds. Campbell’s Operative Orthopaedics. 14th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier; 2021:chap 45.
Yonz MC, Wilson BF, Blake MH, Johnson DL. Medial collateral ligament and posterior medial nook accidents. In: Miller MD, Thompson SR, eds. DeLee, Drez, & Miller’s Orthopaedic Sports activities Medication. fifth ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier; 2020:chap 101.
Professional reviewer, Mr Damian McClelland, Trauma and Orthopaedic Guide, and Scientific Director for Musculoskeletal Providers at Bupa
Subsequent evaluate due November 2023
The lateral collateral ligament (LCL) is one in all the ligaments inside your knee. The LCL lies on the outer facet of your knee joint, and connects your thigh bone (femur) to the small bone in your decrease leg (fibula). An LCL harm is usually a partial or full tear, or a stretched ligament.
About lateral collateral ligament harm
The LCL is typically known as the fibular collateral ligament. Together with the different ligaments in your knee, your LCL retains your knee steady. Your LCL and your medial collateral ligament (MCL) management the sideways motion of your knee.
When the knee ligament is stretched however not torn, that is known as a sprain. Sprains are given totally different grades relying on how extreme they’re. In case your LCL harm is extreme, it might be related to accidents to the ligaments and tendons in your knee. For instance, your anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) and posterior cruciate ligament (PCL), in addition to different components of your knee.
Causes of lateral collateral ligament harm
A lateral collateral ligament (LCL) harm is normally brought on by your knee being pushed outwards (away out of your different knee). This may occasionally occur in case you have a blow to the within your leg, which may occur throughout contact sports activities reminiscent of soccer. You may also injure your LCL by twisting on the facet of your foot, or extending your knee past its regular vary of motion.
You might also injure your LCL together with different ligaments in your knee in case you have a significant accident. For instance, if you happen to fall from a peak or have a automobile accident.
/media/pictures/decorative-images/icons/bone-cyan-90×90.png” /> In search of physiotherapy?
You’ll be able to entry a spread of remedies on a pay as you go foundation, together with physiotherapy. Discover out extra about physiotherapy >
To guide or to make an enquiry, name us on 0333 305 9650 ^
/media/pictures/decorative-images/icons/bone-cyan-90×90.png” />In search of physiotherapy?
Signs of lateral collateral ligament harm
The signs of an LCL harm might rely on whether or not you additionally harm different components of your knee. You’ll most likely have some ache on the outdoors of your knee. And you’ll have some bruising and swelling in the space of your harm.
Relying on the severity of your harm, your knee may additionally really feel a little bit unstable once you transfer it back and forth, and really feel as if it’s going to present method. You may discover it tough to stroll on uneven floor or up and down stairs.
It’s frequent to break a nerve in your knee at the identical time as your LCL. If this occurs, you’ll have some numbness and weak spot round your foot and ankle.
Self-help for lateral collateral ligament harm
In case you injure your knee, it is best to observe the POLICE process to handle any kind of soppy tissue harm to your knee. POLICE stands for shield, optimum loading, ice, compression and elevation.
Moreover, there are particular issues it is best to keep away from in the first three days after your harm so that you don’t harm your knee additional. These will be remembered as HARM, which stands for warmth, alcohol, operating and therapeutic massage.
To seek out out extra about POLICE and HARM, you may go to our web page on what to do if you happen to injure your knee.
In case you’re having issue bearing weight in your knee, you might want to make use of crutches or put on a brace to assist you for some time. Your physician or physio will clarify how lengthy you’ll want to make use of these for.
Remedy for lateral collateral ligament harm
You’ll normally must go to A&E with this type of harm, the place they’ll study you and take some X-rays of your knee. They could then refer you to an acute knee clinic, which can organise any investigations and therapy you want.
The therapy you’re supplied in your LCL harm will rely on how extreme the harm is, and if you happen to’ve injured some other components of your knee. The preliminary therapy will likely be to regulate your ache and swelling utilizing the POLICE and HARM self-help measures (see above). Additional remedies embrace knee bracing, physiotherapy, medicines, and generally, surgical procedure.
You may even see an orthopaedic surgeon (a physician who specialises in bone surgical procedure) or a sports activities medication skilled, reminiscent of a sports activities physician or a physiotherapist. There are totally different remedies that your physician or physiotherapist might recommend, and so much that you are able to do your self to assist your restoration.
Medicines for lateral collateral ligament harm
You’ll be able to take over-the-counter painkillers, reminiscent of paracetamol or ibuprofen, to assist relieve any ache. Your physician might prescribe stronger painkillers in case your ache is absolutely dangerous. In addition to easing your ache, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication (NSAIDs) reminiscent of ibuprofen might assist to cut back irritation and swelling. All the time learn the affected person info that comes along with your medication, and in case you have questions, ask your pharmacist or GP for recommendation.
Physiotherapy for lateral collateral ligament harm
Your physiotherapist will fastidiously assess your knee after which plan a programme of rehabilitation workout routines to fit your particular person wants. The physiotherapy programme will likely be designed to assist your knee get better its full vary of motion and its energy and stability. This could show you how to get full operate again in your knee and return to your regular sports activities and actions. Be sure you do the workout routines as this is a crucial a part of your restoration. Typically, therapy with physiotherapy and leg bracing will likely be all you want in case you have a LCL harm. Chances are you’ll get better and get again to your regular actions and sports activities after about 4 to 6 weeks however ask your physiotherapist for particular recommendation for you.
Surgical procedure for lateral collateral ligament harm
Most individuals with a gentle or average LCL harm gained’t want surgical procedure. In case your LCL harm is extra extreme, it’s possible that you just’ll have broken different components of your knee too. If this occurs to you, surgical procedure is probably going the greatest choice to restore your LCL and assist to revive stability in your knee.
It might probably take a couple of month to get better from surgical procedure and to have the ability to put weight in your knee. Ask your physician about the execs and cons of surgical procedure, and the way it may show you how to.