Once you created a Gmail account, you will be able to enjoy all the Google services without any interruptions. However, there may be situations which demandВ the deletion of the Gmail account. It may be for creating another account or due to the inactivity on the current account. Anyways, if you have decided to delete Gmail account, you should be reading this article which guides you through the steps to remove Gmail account as well as the entire Google account.
When you should Disable Gmail account
There are several situations when you are forced to delete your Gmail account. Either it is a repeated spamming, or to start another account with the same info. There are plenty more situations when we recommend you to immediately disable the Gmail account. Here are they.
- When you think you are spammed continuously: If you think that you being spammed or anyone trying to spam you over and over again. If you really can’t get rid of him, you may go for an account deletion and start a new one with a new email.
- When your security is at risk: Gmail has one of the best security measures among the emailing services. So, usually, you don’t have to worry about this. But, at any time, you found out that your security is at risk and you are pretty sure that your data is being stolen, you may continue the Gmail account removal process.
- When you have many emailВ accounts: “Many” means, a big number like 20 or more. If you have that much email accounts most of them being unused or has no relevance at all, you should delete the Gmail accounts that you no longer need. It will also help you to stay organized with fewer accounts.
- When you no longer need that account: If you have too many Gmail accounts and you longer need some of them, we recommend to deactivate those Gmail accounts. It will help you to get sorted out of the unwanted Gmail accounts and emails.
What you should know before Removing the Gmail Account
Deleting the Gmail account is not that much of a tough task. But, there are more things you should be aware of before going for an account deletion. We listed some of the most important things you should know before disabling your Gmail account.
- It will delete all the data in your Gmail account: Removing the Google account will remove all the information in it, including the emails, attachments, drafts, and whatever you stored in your account.
- You will no longer be able to receive emails send to that email address: If you have given the email address of that Gmail to any of your family members or friends, you will not be able to receive emails to that address anymore. So, if anyone of them still using the same email, tell them about them about the account change and give them the new address.
- You will no longer be able to enjoy other Google services using that Gmail: Getting out of the Gmail doesn’t only means you are out of the Gmail, but it may (In some cases) also block your access to any other Google products you signed up using this Gmail address. You will not be able to enjoy those Google service demand account login until you signup for a new account.
How to Delete a Gmail Account
Here comes the real answer to your question “how can IВ delete my Gmail account.” The steps are pretty simple and nothing to worry about in the process. Even beginners will be able to deactivate their Gmail account easily. So, here are the steps to delete a Gmail account.
- Go to the Gmail account preferences page.
- Click Delete products option.
- Sign in by entering your credentials.
- Find the Gmail option and click Delete (a trash icon)В next to it.
- Now, follow the onscreen instructions carefully.
- Finally, click on theВ Remove Gmail.
How to Delete Google Account
If you want to completely remove the Google account alongside the Gmail account, you have to follow a little different procedure. Here are the steps to remove the Google account.
- Go toВ My Account Page.
- ClickВ Delete your account or services under the “Account preferences” section.
- Select theВ Delete Google Account and data option.
- Sign into your account again if prompted.
- Follow the onscreen instructions.
- Choose theВ Delete option to complete the process.
What is the Difference between the Gmail and Google account?
If you still wonder, what is the difference between a Gmail account and a Google account, here it is.
A Gmail account is used for the mailing purposes only. Which means, removing the Gmail may not alter any other Google services that you are currently utilizing (In some cases, it may.) So, if you only have to get rid of the Gmail account, you don’t have to delete the entire Google account for that. You just have to follow the instructions given in the “how to delete a Gmail account” section.
A Google account is used for the entire Google services such as Youtube, Google Calander, Google Maps, etc. Removing the Google account will completely block your access from any of the Google services which need you to be logged in. But you will still be able to access the services such as Youtube which doesn’t necessarily needs the user to be signed in all the time.
So, If you only want to disable the emailing service provided by the Google, we recommend deleting the Gmail account. It will help you to keep using all other Google services at the same time you will no longer have an inbox at the Gmail ID.
If you are still facing problems in disabling the Google account or the Gmail, feel free to ask any of your doubts. We will be more than happy to help you out.
Google no longer automatically deletes inactive Gmail accounts
As of June 2021, Google may delete accounts that have become inactive. Your account is considered inactive when you have used any of the services for more than 24 months (2 years). If your account is deleted, you could lose all the data—message, files, pictures, videos, etc.—that you have stored in Google Drive.
Gmail Account Deletion Policy History
In years past, you could keep your Gmail account as long as you wanted and as long as you used it in a sensible manner. You had to use it, though. Google automatically deleted Gmail accounts that were not regularly accessed. Not only were the folders, messages, and labels deleted, the account’s email address was also deleted. Nobody, not even the original owner, could set up a new Gmail account with the same address. The delete process was irreversible.
To prevent deletion, users only had to access their Gmail account periodically either through the web interface at Google.com or with an email program that used IMAP or POP protocols to access the email at the Gmail account.
Google received widespread criticism online when a large number of users reported their inactive accounts were deleted without warning or the time to make a backup. This public relations concern may have contributed to the change in the policy.
When an Inactive Gmail Account Expires
Per the Gmail Program Policies (since revised), a Gmail account was deleted by Google and the username became unavailable after nine months of inactivity. Logging in to the Gmail web interface counted as activity, as did accessing the account from another email account
If your Gmail account has disappeared, contact Gmail support promptly for help.