There is nothing more annoying than external noise while using a microphone during an online game. Having loud and disturbing noises in the background will always spoil the fun while gaming online. However, there is a small feature called Push to Talk to avoid this issue to a large extent. It is a simple technique that can help you a lot. While using push to talk feature, the user has to push a button before communicating through the Microphone.
As we all know, Discord is the most common software used for communication in online gaming. Let us discuss how we can enable Discord Push to Talk on your PC and phone.
Enable Push To Talk in Discord PC
Discord Push to talk can be easily enabled in your PC by following the steps given below.
- Open Discord and click on your username.
- A small Settings page will be opened now. In the left panel on the screen, go to the Application Settings section.
- Now, In the application settings section, click on Voice and Video option.
- While in the voice and video section, there will be two options. Voice Activity and Push to talk. Voice activity is the normal mode in which all the voices happening around you are captured and transmitted while in a call.
- Click on the Push to talk option.
- When you click on the push to talk option, two more options will appear. One option is to assign a shortcut to activate the push to talk. You can click on the desired key and click on stop recording for the key to be assigned. You can add multiple keys if you want.
- The second option is to set the push to talk release delay. It is time that the mic will remain ON even after releasing the push button. It can be set to a maximum value of 2 seconds.
Now you have completed all the steps. You are ready to use the Discord push to talk feature. While in a call simply press the assigned key and the mic will start recording. Release the key to stop recording in Discord push to talk. In this way, you can easily set push to talk in discord PC.
Enable Discord Push to Talk in Android
If you are a mobile gamer who uses Discord to communicate with your co-players, you can use push to talk too. See how to enable Discord push to talk on Android or iPhone.
Enable Discord Push to Talk on iPhone
DIscord app for iPhone users come in a different skin. So the settings for Discord on iPhone might be slightly different than the Discord app for Android. Let us see how to enable push to talk in Discord for iPhone.
- Open Discord app and go to the Discord menu from the bottom navbar.
- Tap on Voice under “APP SETTINGS.”
- Tap on Input Mode option.
- Choose “Push to Talk” instead of Voice Activity.
Now the Discord push to talk feature is enabled on your phone as well. While you are on a call, a push to talk button will be shown on the screen. Click on that button to start speaking. A green circle will be shown around the username while the Microphone is being used. The recording will stop as soon as the Push button is released.
Using the above-mentioned ways, you can easily set up a push to talk in Discord feature on both smartphone and personal computers. The process is very easy and can really benefit you in removing the unwanted noises around you while gaming.
Don’t know, who uses Discord push-to-talk feature because the VOIP calling application for professional gamers invented for seamless communication throughout the game. I got a Discord server, and I frequently communicate with my team members using it. I must say that Discord produces high-quality seamless voice calling without issues.
What is Push to Talk in Discord
For beginners, who are confused over PTT and regular communication method, I will this break down in simpler words. The function PTT is a popular term in the gaming industry, where gamers have to press a button on the keyboard to use voice chat.
By default, you have to configure or enable Push to Talk in Discord manually. You can join the voice channel and expect seamless communication line.
How do I enable Push to Talk in Discord
Enabling Push to Talk on Discord mobile or desktop version is easy, and follow the lead for further instructions. I recommend the readers to update the software to the latest version for a smooth experience.
- Launch Discord application on Windows or Mac OS or Linux. The user-interface does not change on desktop-class programs or web application.
- Access user settings located at the bottom of the screen, and click on the gear icon.
- In the settings section, you got “Voice & Video” and click on it to view more options.
- In the V&V settings, you can find the option called “Input Mode” and select “Push to Talk.”
That’s it, and you have successfully converted “Voice Activity” to “Push to Talk.” End the program from the computer, and then restart it to apply the changes. I’m using desktop and connected an external microphone, and the settings apply to inbuilt hardware and external hardware. In case if Discord microphone doesn’t work, then make sure to set microphone preference in the audio manager.
Enable PTT in Discord on Smartphone
I cannot ignore mobile Discord users because 70% of my current audience is on mobile. I cannot deny the fact that the majority of my Discord members communicate using a portable phone. It would be an injustice for mobile communicators to leave them behind, and focus on the desktop-class consumers only. Allow me to show you how you can enable Discord push to talk on an Android, iOS, and other devices.
- Fire up the application, and swipe left on the screen to view more options. Tap on the gear icon located at the bottom, and I’m talking about user settings.
- Scroll down until you find the settings Voice & Video, and tap on it.
- The first function is Input Mode, and then click on “Push to Talk.”
How to configure Push To Talk on iOS Device
Many registered users don’t know how to configure since PTT is not a popular option. I want to show iOS device owners to configure the Push-To-Talk on iPhone and iPad.
- Join any Discord server voice channel.
- Now, tap on the gear icon located top-right corner of the section to start the process.
- Tap on “Input Mode” to change the mode.
- Now, select Push-To-Talk from the options and tap on the selection to confirm changes.
- Double-check “Input Mode” for Push-To-Talk option, and then tap “Close” to end the process.
- Click on the Push-To-Talk button highlighted at the bottom of the section to speak and communicate with the team members.
You don’t need to apply the settings universally in Discord and change the settings according to the requirements. However, I want to remind the users that they need to keep the screen backlight on to use this function. The voice will go through only when you press the button on the screen.
How to change Push to Talk Key in Discord
I already mentioned that AAA title games provide a PTT function, and they set one key by default. You don’t want to create problems while playing in the intensive match. Usually, players set T or K, which collides with games like Counter-strike Global Offensive or Players Unknown’s Battle Ground. It is essential that you set permanent keybinding and make sure it doesn’t collide with Apex Legends or other games.
- Click on the user settings gear icon located at the bottom. I have already shown you in the above solution.
- Click on Voice & Video, and then select Push to Talk in the input mode.
- Below, you can find the option “Record Keybind.”
- Click on record keybind, and carefully select a key on the keyboard.
- You can always reset it by clicking on the same option, and re-entering a new key from the keyboard.
Also, change the keybind on Battle Royale because it can intrude at some point in your match. I recommend setting the key based on multiple games because I play Apex Legends, PUBG, Counter-strike, and other FPS games. For the safe side, I recommend considering various games, while setting the key for PTT.
Enabling Discord Push-to-Talk doesn’t take more than a few seconds to complete the process. In a few scenarios, the program doesn’t function at all, and I have provided enough information to resolve that issue as well.