Facebook is a great site to network with like-minded people, engage in intellectual or nerdy discussions, or even just to share memes, all depending on your needs. You can join a host of various public and private groups for these purposes. However, sometimes you may not enjoy your experience in a group. Perhaps you find that you have become a part of way too many groups, more than you can manage, and they have become overwhelming to see in your feed. Alternatively, you may just realize that you don’t like a particular group or find it relevant anymore. In such a case, you may be wondering how to leave a Facebook group.
Whatever the reason might be for you losing interest a Facebook group, there is always the option to leave it. We are here to show you how, so that you don’t have to worry about unwanted notifications or posts in your feed.
How to Leave a Facebook Group
You may be using Facebook on your PC or on a mobile device. The methods to leave a Facebook Group in both cases are slightly different. We have outlined the steps for both as follows:
If you are using your PC, you can follow the steps below if you don’t know how to leave a Facebook group on the desktop version. Here are the steps:
- Once you have logged into your Facebook account, which you can do by typing in your email address and password on the sign in page, you will end up on your news feed. This is where you get updates from friends – the posts they share, or statuses they upload etc. – and any pages you follow or groups you are part of. On the left side of your screen, you will see the option for groups. Select it.
- After that, you will be able to see a list of all the groups you are a part of. If you have never left a group before, this list will be of all the existing groups you have ever joined through this account. Scroll down and select the one you want to leave.
- You should now be on that said group’s page. On the right corner, below the group’s large banner space, there will be three horizontal dots for actions you can take on that group. Click those dots.
- When you do so, a drop down menu would appear. The option for leaving the group will be at the very bottom of it where it says: “leave group” with an exit door icon beside it. Select that option and confirm when the confirmation window pops up.
You have now successfully left a Facebook group through desktop.
If you are using a mobile device, such as your cellphone, you are mostly likely using the app. Follow these steps that guide you how to leave a Facebook group through the app.
- Assuming you are already logged in (if you are not, just enter your email address and password or your phone number), you will be on your newsfeed by default. Select the three horizontal lines stacked on top of each other which you can see at the top right corner of your screen. It will have a lot options go through, like gaming, pages, events etc. See if you can find “groups” and select it. However, if you can’t find it this way, it is understandable because the layout is sort of a chaotic grid. What you can do about that is to go back and look for the groups option at the top of your screen. It should an icon with people illustrated in it, to the right of your newsfeed/home page icon. Select it.
- Then select the “your groups” option that you see on the top left. When you do that, it will show you a list of groups that you are part of. The pinned ones, if you have pinned any of your groups, will appear at the very top, and others will be further down the list. Scroll until you find the one you wish to leave and click on the said group.
- Now you are on that group’s home page. You should see the familiar three white dots in the top right corner of your screen over the group’s banner image. Select those dots to reveal the actions you can take on the group, like report, pin, share etc. The “leave group” option would be at the very bottom. Select it.
- A pop up message will ask you to confirm in case you have clicked on the leave option accidentally and did not actually wish to leave the group. Furthermore, there may be better options than leaving it. For example you may just turn off the notifications if that is what bothers you and not the posts in your feed or the group itself. To reevaluate your options, the message will give you “more options.” However, if you really want to leave the group, select “leave group permanently.”
You now have successfully learned how to leave a Facebook group through the app.
What Happens When You Leave a Facebook Group?
When you decide to leave a group on Facebook, you will:
- No longer receive notifications about the group, like any updates, post notifications etc.
- No longer see its posts in your feed.
- No longer be able to comment on its posts if someone tags you there.
- No longer have this group in your list of groups.
Don’t worry, members wouldn’t be notified if you leave the group. You will still be able to see the posts if someone shares them on your feed or tags you in one of the posts (provided that it is not a private group).
That was all about how to leave a Facebook group. Groups are fun and good for socializing and finding like-minded people who share your interests, but we understand that they can be too overwhelming sometimes. It is also understandable if you have simply lost interest in them. In such a case, we hope you found our guide helpful and easy to implement.
Browse Post Topics
This guide demonstrates how to leave a Facebook group. Sometime we join a Facebook group but it does not meet our expectation.
Though you could mute messages from the group, it may be best to simply leave the group.
Options to Leave a Facebook Group
A number of Facebook users access the platform from their mobile phones. But a huge number also use Facebook from their PC.
Based on this, I offer steps to leave a Facebook group:
- From Facebook app on a mobile phone
- A browser on a Smartphone
- A PC browser
How to Leave a Facebook Group from Facebook App
How to Leave a Facebook Group from a Smartphone Browser
If you do not have the Facebook app on your phone you can still leave a group using a browser.
Here are the steps:
- Open Facebook.com from a browser on your smartphone and login with your Facebook account.
- Then on the top right corner of your Facebook profile, click the 3 lines and select Groups.
- When the groups you belong to opens, click the group you wish to quit.
- Then click the forward arrow on the Group’s profile picture.
- Right at the bottom of the page, click Leave group.
- Finally, to confirm that you want to leave the Facebook group, click Leave group.
How to Leave a Facebook Group from a PC Browser
If you use Facebook from a PC you can still exit a group. Here are the steps:
- Open Facebook.com from a browser and login to your Facebook account.
- On the left pane of the page, click Groups.
- Then, beneath Groups you’re in, click the Facebook group you want to exit from.
- When the group opens, beneath the Group’s profile picture click the Join drop-down. Then click Leave Group.
- Finally, to confirm you want to quick the group click Leave Group.
No matter your reason for wanting to exit from a Facebook group I hope you found this guide helpful.
Have a question, feedback or comment? Use the “Leave a Reply” form found at the end of this page.
For more guides like this one, visit our Social Media how to page.
26 Oct 2010
Recently, Facebook made some significant changes to how groups worked. The new Groups is a completely revamped version, and lets people create private spaces for interaction that includes group chat.
While the new Groups has its own advantages, many of you might not want to automatically join Groups which your friends invite you to, and also you might not want those group chats and notifications popping up all the time. So today, we’ll tell you how you could quickly leave multiple Facebook Groups without getting stuck in Facebook’s maze of user controls.
Here are the steps.
1. On the left sidebar of your Facebook profile homepage you’ll find an option that says Groups. Click on that.
2. A page showing the list of Groups you have been invited to, would open. Scroll down to the “My Groups” section that shows the groups you’re subscribed to.
3. When you hover the mouse over any of those group names, you’ll find a small cross icon showing up on the right of that name. You just need to click on it and then click “Remove” to quit that group.
You could use the above method to quickly quit multiple Groups at one go, and remove some clutter from your My Groups page.
Last updated on 8 Feb, 2018
The above article may contain affiliate links which help support Guiding Tech. However, it does not affect our editorial integrity. The content remains unbiased and authentic.
Did You Know
The first Amazon Kindle was released on November 19, 2007.
Thousands of Facebook groups are created every day. Some of them cater to writers, some to athletes, some to cooking fanatics, and more. Whatever your interests, there’s not one but dozens of groups for you. Add to that any number of groups that your friends are inviting you to, and it’s easy to overwhelm your Facebook feed. Maybe it’s time to kiss some of those groups goodbye.
We’ve covered some common questions regarding Facebook groups and pages. If there’s something in your feed that you don’t want, chances are your answer is somewhere below.
How Do I Leave a Facebook Group?
It’s literally as simply as the click of a button. Just go to the group that you want to leave and look at the options just beneath the banner picture. If you’re a member of the group, then you should see the word Joined on one of the options.
- Click Joined to reveal a drop down.
- Select Leave Group.
Voila. You now have one fewer group cluttering up your feed.
What Happens When I Leave a Group?
You probably don’t have to be worried about upsetting anyone by leaving. Other members will not be notified, nor the administrators. However, they will be able to tell that you’re not a member if they look in the right places. You’ll be removed from the member list, a list visible to anyone else in the group.
As for your end of things, you won’t see the group show up on your group list and you will no longer receive any notifications from the group. Finally, and most importantly, you won’t see any more posts to the group in your feed.
Perhaps most interestingly, your presence in the group will be erased, so to speak. For example. in the past other group members were able to see if you saw a group post. Now, even if you saw a post before you left the group, that information will no longer be available.
Can I Stop Seeing Posts Without Leaving a Group?
Maybe you want to be able to access the group when you need to but you’re tired of the constant posts. It’s possible to stop the posts from showing up in your feed without leaving outright. All you need to do is unfollow the group instead of leave.
Do the exact same thing that you would do to leave a group. Only, when you reveal the dropdown under Joined, select Unfollow Group. That’s it! Now you’re still apart of the fun, but without all the annoyance.
What’s the Difference Between a Group and a Page?
Maybe you don’t want to leave a group at all. Maybe it’s someone’s page that keeps bothering you with posts. It’s possible to follow various pages in order to see their posts in your feed. Many different entities like celebrities, websites, and organizations, have pages filled with relevant content. Following them will fill your feed with interesting quotes, links, videos, and more. However, with groups, pages, and profiles all floating around, it can be difficult to know which one you’re dealing with.
- Profile – This is your personal Facebook home. You create a profile when you first sign up. You post pictures and status updates to your profile. You friend other profiles. You follow pages and join groups.
- Page – This is similar to a profile in a lot of respects. You can post things. You can also post pictures. You can even like other pages. You can’t friend people and you can’t join groups. Facebook pages are intended as “profiles” for professionals, business entities, and public figures.
- Group – These virtual spaces on Facebook are intended to bring people together of common interests. They also act as spaces for existing friends or members of a common community to come together and communicate. Members of a group can post to the group, regardless of who created it.
If you are looking to unfollow a page instead of a group, go to the page in question. Click Following beneath the banner photo. Then Select Unfollow this Page.
Is There a Way to Unfollow a Person Without Unfriending Them?
Maybe you’re tired of hearing your aunt wax poetic about her garden. That or you’ve had enough of your brother’s incessant political rants. Whatever your reasons, there’s someone in your life you could stand to hear a little less from. But you don’t want to unfriend them because that would create more drama than you bargained for. Facebook understands and has provided a simple solution.
You can opt to unfollow someone instead of unfriending them. Simply go to their Facebook profile and look to the bottom right of their banner photo. Click Following to reveal a drop-down of options. Click Unfollow [Name] at the bottom of the drop-down.
As far as the person can tell, you’re still friends. However, you’ll now no longer see his or her posts in your feed. You can still see them if you go directly to his or her profile page.
How Do I Delete a Facebook Group?
Forget leaving a Facebook group. Maybe you’re looking to remove one altogether. You can only do this if one of the following is true:
- You are the administrator that created the group.
- You are an administrator in the group and the administrator who created the group has already left.
If you have the ability to delete a Facebook group, you can do so by removing all of the group members, including yourself. You can remove others by clicking on the settings icon next to each member’s name. Once all of the other members are removed, click Leave Group next to your name. The group will automatically be deleted once all the members are gone. You won’t be able to access it again, even if it was public.
Take a close look at your groups, favorite pages, and friends. A little housecleaning will go a long way toward fashioning a more enjoyable feed.
Q. Help! I am so annoyed! People keep adding me to Facebook Groups without asking me first! Suddenly I’m getting notices from people I haven’t even met in my inbox. Get this, I was added to a group for a high school reunion and I didn’t even go to that high school!
Don’t people have to ask before adding me to a Facebook Group? How can I quit the group? I can’t find a Quit Group button! Do I have to ask to leave a group?
A. You’re right, Facebook Groups can be incredibly annoying when you’re added without your permission, especially when the Group has nothing to do with you.
[note]See, Find a New Favorite Facebook Group with Enhanced Search for ideas on finding new Facebook Groups to join. [/note]
If you want to leave a Facebook Group, go to the Group’s page and look for the Settings symbol on the upper right hand corner of the page, below the pictures of the members of the group. Click on the Settings symbol and then click “Leave Group.”
Facebook will ask you to confirm your decision. Click “Leave Group” and you will be unsubscribed from the Group.
After you’ve left the Group you won’t see it listed in the Groups section on the left side of your Facebook page, you won’t get email notices from the group, and you won’t see posts from the Group in your News Feed.
If you want to stay in the Group without getting email notices from them, click on Notifications (to the left of the Settings icon), Settings and un-check the email option.
To learn more about Facebook Groups, check out the Facebook Groups Help Page.
The Netiquette on Facebook Groups hasn’t evolved yet, but so many people have told me about their annoyance with Facebook Groups that I strongly suggest that people be asked before they’re added to a Facebook Group.
Personally, I have mixed feelings about being added to Facebook Groups. Sometimes I’ve been delighted at being added to a Group. Other times I was annoyed when I was added to a Group. You shouldn’t hesitate to leave a Group if it’s not a good fit for you.
Have you ever been added to a Facebook Group without being asked first? Do you like Facebook Groups or do you find them annoying? Have you ever quit a Facebook Group? What do you think the Netiquette is about being added to a Group without being asked first? Let us know in the Comments section below!
I know. We have all been there.
Some Facebook group are just full of garbage.
The sanest thing to do in cases like that is to quietly remove yourself from all of such facebook groups. This is what this post shall address.
Below is a step by step guide on how to remove yourself from any facebook group.
I hope you find it useful.
Have the exact name of the Facebook group in mind. Then proceed accordingly.
Using a PC (Macbook or Windows)
step 1: Go to this url: https://web.facebook.com/groups/ . On the left hand panel, you will find a list of all facebook groups that you are a member of.
remove yourself from facebook group
step 2: Click on the group you want to leave.
step 3: Once the group page loads up. Click on the joined button. A dropdown menu should fall out. Click on Leave.
step 4: Click on the blue Leave Group button to confirm.
That’s it you’ve successfully left the said group.
Repeat the steps for other facebook groups you want to leave.
Whatever it is you’re into, Facebook Groups are a great way to connect with others that share your interests. And beyond matching you up with like-minded people, Groups also give you access to deals on items, help you organize play dates with families in the same area, and so much more.
But if you’re a member of too many groups, the unwanted clutter can push you away from this great tool. So it’s always a good idea to leave groups you’re no longer interested in to lessen distractions and streamline your experience. Thankfully, Facebook makes it relatively simple to get out of a group straight from your smartphone, and it works the same way on Android and iPhone.
Leaving a Facebook Group
First, open the Facebook app and tap on the Groups icon — it looks like a crowd of people, and it’s located along the top on Android, but it’s on the bottom on iOS. Once you’re on the Groups tab, either tap on “My Groups” to view a list of all the groups you’re in, or scroll sideways on the section along the top displaying the groups you’re in and tap on the one you wish to leave.
Once you’re inside the group’s page, hit the three-dot menu button in the upper-right corner, then select “Leave Group” on the menu that appears. Now, hit “Leave Group” on the prompt to wrap things up and leave the group for good.
This article was produced during Gadget Hacks’ special coverage on becoming a social media expert on your phone. Check out the whole Social Media series.
Keep Your Connection Secure Without a Monthly Bill. Get a lifetime subscription to VPN Unlimited for all your devices with a one-time purchase from the new Gadget Hacks Shop, and watch Hulu or Netflix without regional restrictions, increase security when browsing on public networks, and more.
Cover image, GIFs, and screenshots by Amboy Manalo/Gadget Hacks
Leave all the Facebook groups with a single click by using Social Media Toolkit For Facebook
[dropcap]T[/dropcap]he Social Networking Giant Facebook being used by billions of people today and this network is famous across the world. Almost all users spend their time by chatting friends, sharing pics and videos in Facebook, liking different pages and joining many groups. But sometimes you really get frustrated by the group posts and their notifications. As on every single post you get notification. And sometime your news feed just get fill up with these posts. If you have joined many groups then its very much time consuming to keep on leaving every single group as it will take lot of time. So here we have a cool trick that will allow you to leave all the groups with a single click. Yes its possible and that too with a simple trick that we are going to discuss right here. So have a look on complete guide discussed below to proceed.
Also Read: How Hackers Hack Facebook Account From Android
How To Leave All Facebook Group At Once
The method is quite simple and you just need a Google Chrome extension that will allow you to leave all your Facebook groups at a single click. And you will need to visit the each and every post to like in your post feeds. So follow up some simple steps below to proceed.
Steps To Leave All Facebook Group With Single Click Using Facebook Social Toolkit:
1. First of all you must have the latest version of Google chrome as the extension we are going to discuss right here might not work perfectly with the older version of Google Chrome.
2. Now in your Google chrome add the extension Facebook Social Media Toolkit there are some features in extension that are actually paid, so that’s why we have given this tutorial to activate this extension for free.
Get Social Media Toolkit For Facebook Premium For Free
3. After getting this extension in your browser login to your Facebook account where you want to leave all the groups.
4. Now click on the extension icon and under premium section click on Remove all Facebook Groups.
5. Now a popup will appear where you have to confirm this by clicking on Remove all groups button that appear there.
6. That’s all and you are done, now all the Groups that you have joined will get left by your side and that just with a single click.
So, this is all about How To Leave All Facebook Group At Once. Now you don’t need to click on remove button on every page one by one, just use this guide and leave all the Facebook groups and that too very easily. Hope you like this, keep on sharing with others too. Leave a comment below if you have any related queries regarding this.
Facebook Messenger is a great app for chatting with your Facebook friends. And you can have one-on-one conversations or chat with a group. But there may come a time when the conversation is over. While you cannot currently leave a one-on-one conversation, you can leave a group chat.
Here’s how to leave a group conversation in Facebook Messenger.
Leave a group chat on the Messenger app
Open Facebook Messenger on your iPhone or iPad and then follow these steps to leave a group chat.
1) Tap the Chat button at the bottom of the app and select the conversation you want to leave.
2) Tap the names of the people in the group at the top.
3) Scroll down and tap Leave Chat.
Keep in mind that you if you don’t want to actually leave a conversation, you can use the other two options there. You can turn off Receive Notifications or tap to Ignore Messages.
Leave a group chat on Messenger online
Whether you use the Messenger website or Facebook for messaging, you can leave a group conversation the same way on both.
1) Navigate to the group conversation you want to leave on either site.
2) Click the Conversation Information button (small letter “i”) on the top right to expand the sidebar if it’s collapsed.
3) Click the Gear icon in the sidebar below the Conversation Information button and choose Leave Group.
Alternatively, if you put your mouse over the group chat in your conversation list, you’ll see that Gear icon appear. You can click it from there and choose Leave Group.
Wrapping it up
Some group conversations just don’t last forever. Maybe it was a chat with a project team of Facebook friends from work and the project is over. Or maybe it was a group planning an event that’s ended. Whatever the case may be, you can leave your Facebook Messenger group conversations easily. Will you?