Vaughn Highfield Associate EditorKnown as the tallest man in tech (something he’s never personally claimed to be), Vaughn writes about a broad range of technology, from VR worlds to startup culture and the best gadgets on the market. While he’ll happily talk your ear off about anime, video games and all things Japan, he also pursues more regular interests such as frequenting East London hipster drinking establishments and overpriced eateries. His Mancunian accent is practically non-existent, but he still wears the term “Northerner” as a badge of honour. Read more October 11, 2020
- How to use Chromecast: Everything you need to know
- The 20 Best Chromecast apps of 2016
- How to Improve Chromecast Performance
- How to use Chromecast to mirror your screen
- How to use Chromecast to play games
- How to use Chromecast to stream audio
- How To Turn Off Your Chromecast
- How to stream VLC Player to Chromecast
- How to use Chromecast without Wi-Fi
- How to reset your Chromecast
- Chromecast tips and tricks
VLC Player is, and will probably always be, the best free way to watch media files and DVDs on your computer or Android phone. However, if you use it as your default player, you will already know that it currently does not support Chromecast on PC or Android.
Worry not, because you can use VLC player to watch media and have it cast over to your TV via Chromecast—it just takes a bit of fiddling first.
How to stream VLC Player to Chromecast from PC
To stream content from the VLC player on your PC to your Chromecast device, you will first need to check the software version that you are running. If you have not downloaded a VLC player to your Mac or PC, go ahead and do that by visiting the official VLC website.
For those who already have the VLC Player, open the application and head to the help menu. Once there, click ‘About’ and ensure that you are running version 3 or later. This step is where Chromecast streaming was added.
To begin streaming, follow these steps:
- Select ‘Playback’ in the upper left-hand corner.
- Tap ‘Renderer,’ then select ‘Chromecast’ from the list of devices.
- Once connected, choose the ‘Media’ menu in the upper left-hand corner.
- Select the file where your desired content is located. You can select one file or several.
If you do not see Chromecast in your list of available devices, check that your computer and your Chromecast are on the same wifi network.
How to stream VLC Player to Chromecast from Android
While VLC Player for Android will eventually come with Chromecast support, it currently is not there. You have one of two options: a) find an alternative Android video player that does stream to Chromecast (of which there are many), or, b) do it the long-winded, battery-draining way because you really have to use VLC Player.
If the latter option is your preference, here is how to do it.
- Install the Google Home app (Chromecast app) on your Android device and pair your Chromecast to it.
- Open VLC Player and start the file you want to cast.
- Open the Chromecast app, then tap the ‘Menu’ button and select ‘Cast screen/audio.’
- Follow the on-screen instructions to cast your device’s display to your Chromecast.
- Go back to VLC Player and set the video to fullscreen mode, and voila, you are done!